Thursday, October 1, 2009

Skywatch Friday: Autumnal Equinox

I've been caught up in events both expected and unexpected for the last couple of weeks, so haven't had time to post anything anywhere. But since the Equinox has come and gone, I thought I'd at least get up a Skywatch entry for this week, and follow up in the next couple of days (five whole days before I have to start another quarter) with various items I've been musing about of late.

I managed to have the camera out during the runup to the Autumnal Equinox, so caught some clouds and stuff--and the farewell of the sun through the dining room window (I talked about this rather wonderful phenomenon last March, when the sun rose in the same window for the first time on the Vernal Equinox). The next morning, the sun rose behind the brick wall behind the fireplace, not to return through that window until next spring.

The opening shot is of what started out to be a pretty tame sunset, but developed into something pretty spectacular--although "uncatchable" from the back yard. So I moseyed on down to the corner for a clearer view, but discovered just how obtrusive technology can get. The result was a kind of "Sunset, with power lines interfering" (apologies to Eadweard Muybridge). In a few weeks, all these leaves will be gone, and I'll get a whole new perspective--and probably fewer technological obstructions.

The photos below are two views of a cloud formation from the previous afternoon--with and without trees. I like the contrast between the diagonal directions of tree line and cloud, but I also liked the wispy cloud all by itself. These are more typical of autumn around here, when we begin to get fewer big storm-bearing cumulus buildups, and more higher-level cirrus feathers. I can almost smell the upcoming crispness in the air--after we get through our Indian Summer.

Anyway, back to work. But happy Skywatch Friday--and Happy Fall!

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Fabulous shots! Fantastic sunset and colors! I know what you mean about technology getting in the way, the view from our front yard is so trashed by wires and poles! Thank goodness for our deck -- none of that stuff. Love those vertical looking clouds, too!

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

Judy said...

Some lovely cloud formations, and wonderful colours. I love the silhouettes of the trees against the sunset!!

nonizamboni said...

Obstructions or not that was one superb sky view! and your cirrus cloud views are beautiful.

Glennis said...

Nice clouds all sort of wind blown, a good series of photo.

eileeninmd said...

Great sunset wiht some pretty color. Thanks for sharing.

jabblog said...

Sometimes we just have to embrace technology and let it become part of the wonder of the world.

GEM said...

There is something beautiful to be perceived from observations of electric lines slicing the sky into sections. Skies happen, whether we are in untrammeled nature or under a network made by technology. And, Thank God the sky happens and is no matter where we are. it is our touchstone to the rhythms of living, as is the sun. GEM

clairz said...

How wonderful to have your very own Equinox Window. Thank you for sharing these photos and thoughts.

Geoff said...

Hey! Where have you been? I've enjoyed seeing the sun come up since I re-discovered jet lag when I got back from England.

I took some photos too and managed to avoid any power lines. The sun looks beautiful coming up over Lake Ontario.