Friday, September 9, 2011

And Now For Something Completely Different

The sky in north Texas has been decidedly uninteresting this week, but not so in other parts of the state. Much of the region is suffering wildfires brought about by drought and high winds, and skies have been filled with smoke and haze. This makes for lovely sunsets (we may see some on SWF), but causes enormous suffering for those whose homes are burning and whose lives are changing irrevocably.

On the coast, at east beach, Galveston, the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee created the skies shown here, gifts from my daughter who was visiting family and friends with her beau. Like many of my own chance photos, these were captured with an iPhone 4, and unaltered. I particularly like the opening shot, which shows me that my girl has a good eye as well as a generous spirit.

I'm hopeful that the Beloved Spouse and I will have a chance to take the pups down to romp on the beach before too long, but in the meantime I'll be enjoying the beautiful cool weather here in the north--while it lasts. Although I've had the A/C off for a week now, the forecast promises century marks for later in the week. I'm decidedly ready for Fall!

This post marks my 250th on the Farm. Thanks to my regulars for sticking with me through my rants and musings--and welcome to any new folk who stray in, attracted by my daughter's "walk-by" photography.

10 comments:

jabblog said...

The first photo might be captioned 'Jacob's Ladder' - it's an amazing shot.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Your series of fotos don't look like from some drought and fire ravaged state. Wonderful!

Congrats on your 250th!

Anonymous said...

Just the photos of cloudy skies are so very welcome! We had a little spritz Sunday mid-day but kept a lovely overcast until dusk when there was dry lightening across the valley,that is never a good thing.
Photos of the gulf always remind me of "The Awakening" and her sad but peaceful solution.
Plus Glen Campbell's "Galveston" is stuck on loop in my head now! That is not so bad though.
We had temps of 108 and 106 this week but will cool into the low 90s for the weekend,yippeeeeeee!
Adios!

clairz said...

I thought that first photo somewhat strange and ghostlike; I still liked it when it was enlarged.

Congratulations on hitting the 250 thoughtful posts mark!

Cath said...

Beautiful photographs, Owl. Glad your skies are smoke free.

Gale said...

Beautiful pictures...I could see where that would make you long for the ocean. I haven't been to any beaches here except for Galvaston years ago. I want to try to get out to Corpus Cristy some time. But yea, nothing beats the beaches in San Diego. My husband proposed to me on one of those beaches!

Hope your daughter has a great trip!

Gale said...

PS: We're in Waco so clear of the fires. Yeah, these fires are scary. I remember watching the fires in California when my Dad was living in the mountains (he was evacuated but our home came through fine) and this reminds me of that, only less "close to home" (even if closer in proximity...I don't know anyone who's house is in danger now).

Kel said...

wow, the first photo is very intriguing, draws on in and along...

Mary Howell Cromer said...

This is really a beautiful entry. Hope you have received rains!

Jackie said...

Great photo's, and I especially like the first one. There have been several this week of highways leading up into a cloudscape, now a footpath and bridge doing the same,