Thursday, January 7, 2010

Skywatch Friday: Pink Sky at Morning

I could have easily called this post "Pretty in Pink," but what preceded it was the reddest dawn I can remember in Texas, and it brought to mind the old sailors' warning.

The eastern sky was blood red when Beloved Spouse woke me so I could get some shots. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to set up a tripod, and I'm still too new to this camera (and too spoiled by the iPhone which has lousy quality but really quick speed) to be able to get good color in the near-dark without fuzzing things beyond recognition.

Aiming the camera in the opposite direction, however, gave me much less blurry results, and lovely pink clouds beyond my winter-stark trees.

Like much of the midwest, we're "enjoying" record cold temperatures, but I'm hoping that ice crystals in the atmosphere will yield some interesting photos for next week.

I'm absolutely swamped with work, so don't have time for much of anything, but this has been nagging me for the last two weeks. My guilty conscience won't let me go another week without checking in on Skywatch Friday. Have a good one!

14 comments:

Martha Z said...

Nice of him to get you up for a photo shoot.

Sylvia K said...

Thank him for us, these are really beautiful and I love looking at the sky through the bare branches. Great composition! Have a great weekend!

Sylvia

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Candace: Those are some neat colors you have in your skies.

Unknown said...

Hi Candace
These a fantastic photos - love the colours. They look great on my computer - the enlarged ones are not blurry at all.

Have a nice weekend, Evelyn

Serendipity said...

Those are beautiful shots, I really like the tree silhouettes.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Very nice photos

Julie said...

You have washed your background with the most delicate of mauves and then slashed the foreground with dramatic black streaks.

This is just terrific, Candace. With more time, I would have been hard pressed to have created anything better.

Well done you.

Linnea said...

Glad you found time to shoot these skies and post them for us. That is really pink! The varied shaped branches on the trees are really accentuated against the colorful sky...like a piece of artwork!

Benikos place said...

Pleased to meet you, thanks for visiting :) you have great photos :))

MJ said...

Lovely tree and sky shots here - and in your previous posts.

Kit said...

Lovely pictures, these and the ones below as well. Good luck with your new camera- I look forward to seeing what you capture as you and it become a team!

Dave Coulter said...

Nice shot...
Happy New Year, too!

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for sharing these pastel skies and those lovely silhouetted trees!
Cheers from [also] cold Minnesota.

Splendid Little Stars said...

so pretty with the stark dark branches silhouetted against the lovely sky!